Theodore Burr, the famous builder of covered bridges, and inventor of the patented Burr Truss, built this Federal style house, as a home for his family, between 1809-1811. It is in fact, the only structure that Burr built which remains in existence today. He spent only two years in his Oxford home when business commitments required he move to Pennsylvania where he remained until his death in 1822. In 1900 the building was given in memory of Eli Lyon Corbin and Abigail Taintor Corbin, his wife, to the Village of Oxford to be used as a library. It has been a library since 1901, and this remarkable piece of architecture was listed on the state and National Register of Historic Places in 1981.